Wednesday, January 25, 2012

3D Printers

Today, I checked my Google alerts for technology, and I found a site that was talking about a couple of guys making profit off of things they have printed from a 3D printer. It surprised me that the cost of the printer itself is less than $2000 yet it can make things like belt buckles and iPhone cases and who knows what else. I think the reason these new printers aren't as popular as when a new iPhone or Wii comes out is because people are amazed by them. I don't get how they "print" something that is 3-dimensional. I'm curious about what type of materials or "ink" they have in them and what they are truly capable of. It makes me wonder what kind of advances can be made, such as in the medical field. I hope that it in years to come it will become a tool to help the world, not a weapon to destroy it. 
http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/pocket-factory-going-across-country-proving-making-business-3d-printing-possible.html

2 comments:

  1. that would be really interesting to see how they do the printer and what it looks like but i don't really see why someone would need a 3d printer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those things are awsome Mr. Davidson has some things that were made by one of those 3D printers. They can make working parts so people can figure out if they want to make a prototype or not. Mr. Davidson has some working ball barrings and some other things that turn and do stuff.

    ReplyDelete